Grow Compost Food Scrap and Liquid Residuals Hauling Program
Why divert food scraps?
Food waste comprises about a third of the waste Americans throw away in landfills, and is in fact the largest solid waste contributor to landfills. Food scraps in landfills produce methane, a gas with 25 times the global warming potential than carbon dioxide. Additionally, Vermont’s recycling law, Act 148, bans the disposal of food scraps by 2020 (and earlier, depending on the amount of food scraps your business produces — see Universal Recycling Timeline)
Cutting your food waste through improved purchasing practices, proper food storage, food donation, feeding animals, among other strategies, helps minimize food waste.
Let Grow Compost put your remaining food wastes to good use!
As compost for farmers, home gardeners, and landscapers,
- Renewable energy at Vermont Technical College’s anaerobic digester,
- Food for chickens (eggs!)
Sign up for a site assessment and proposal or call 802-595-2333
Note: Grow Compost’s service area covers Central Vermont and the Upper Connecticut River Valley.
Grow Compost list of AcceptableMaterials 2017
Estimate your food waste generation using industry standards
Grow Compost resource page for its food scrap hauling customers:
Grow Compost Collection Services Include:
- Site Assessment: an in-person evaluation of your operations and collection needs, followed by a proposal for collection services, tailored to your business.
- Training: in-person training services and educational materials to key participants, making it easy and seamless to start up your program.
- Containers and signage: sturdy 48 gallon totes on wheels, placed in the location you require. Businesses receive a clean replacement tote(s), each week when totes are collected. Grow also provides a five gallon kitchen bucket and lid (extra buckets available for purchase), cover material to eliminate odors and insects (if requested), and stickers and signs.
- Collection Schedule: Totes are collected year-round, on a weekly schedule – always dependable!
- Diversion data: With each bill, Grow Compost tracks the amount of food waste your business is diverting — Green Business information to pass on to your staff and your customers.
- Recognition: We help our customers join EPA’s Food Recovery Challenge, giving them national recognition for their efforts: Food Recovery Challenge
Liquid Residuals/Spent Brewery Waste Program
What do we offer?
- year-round, dependable, weekly residuals collection
- pump residuals directly out of your storage tank
- maintain manifest data
- staff training and training resources
What happens to the liquid residuals?
Scraps provide feedstock for Vermont Tech’s state-of-the-art anaerobic digester, generating renewable thermal energy and electricity, in turn, heating campus buildings.
Sign up for a site assessment and proposal or call 802-882-8154